Mahabalipuram

Mahabalipuram has recently reinvented itself in the world map when Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jin chose the ancient town in Tamil Nadu the venue of their meeting. Situated 50 kilometers away from the state capital Chennai, Mahabalipuram offers solace to travelers who are in search of age old wisdom and tranquility.
I was visiting Chennai in late August this year when I heard a vague call from Mahabalipuram. Though regular bus services are available between Chennai and Mahabalipuram, I decided to drive down the way. Reason: I had fallen in love with the road that lay parallel to the great Indian ocean and Mahabalipuram on the map.

I started my journey at 10.15 in the morning after dropping my sister at her office(for it was her car I was borrowing). Chennai has a notorious driving culture. From skipping traffic signals to overtaking on the left side to long traffic jams, it has everything to make you more patient. You know what I mean. Fun began when I came out of the cacophony of the city traffic and hit the highway. Straight road with trees greeting you on either sides. Then there was the blue ocean at the arms distance.  The path was becoming my destination. A few stops apart, I reached Mahabalipuram at noon.

Shore Temple from a distance
After a brief lunch of seafood delicacies, I set out to explore the ancient town by foot. The Shore Temple at Mahabalipuram was built by the Pallava ruler Narasinhavarman II between 700-728 A.D.  The ticket to the UNESCO World Heritage Site is priced at Rs.20. The temple stands on the edge of a beautifully kept garden on the shore of the Indian ocean. The temple is seen below you eye level as you walk towards the shore because it stands on a lower platform. One has to keep the footwear outside the compound.


Gate of the Shore Temple, Mahabalipuram


The temple complex is indeed a poem in stone! It is built in granite stones. Every piece of sculpture in and around the sanctum sanctorum looks as bright even after centuries of wearing and tearing. It goes to the credit of the Archaeological Survey of India to have preserved all the Nandi sculptures intact. A walk around the main structure of the Shore Temple gave me sheer pleasure. I thought about how history is a continuation and I felt proud about human civilization for a few moments. 


Main shrine in the Shore Temple complex

Nandi sculptures near the sanctum sanctorum


Panel of sculptures near Shore Temple, Mahabalipuram
After a brief scouting at the nearby market, I went to see the beach near the Shore Temple. It is one of the most colourful beaches I have ever visited. The beach was unusually crowded. Why did it take so long to come here- I thought as I watched children playing with the waves.

Unnikrishnadas 

No comments:

Post a Comment